This week it was reported that his football career is probably over.
His coach, Chris Ault, said:
We’re with you. Let’s get you healthy. Our entire concern right now is his health. This is a serious, serious injury.
Gunshot wounds are insidious for the following reasons:
1) They cause massive internal trauma.
2) Bullets can fracture bones causing even further damage.
3) Sometimes they lead to infection.
Can you bounce back and play football after a gunshot wound? Sure, but like with all injuries, it depends. In the case of Wimberly he was shot in the abdomen and his coach said:
It’s an extensive injury. Another centimeter and the doctor said he might not have made it to the hospital.
Everyone thinks this might be an injury that ends Brandon’s career. Will it? I think it depends on several things:
1) How bad is the internal damage?
2) Was there any spinal involvement?
3) What is his motivational level?
I wish Brandon Wimberly all the luck in the world if he attempts to come back.